Need a Brown Center for Leadership and Service staff member to present to, or table at, your class or organization?
Take a look at the links below to find out more about our offerings and how to request our staff.
The Brown Center for Leadership and Service is available as a resource to train student organizations, present in classes and speak at conferences and meetings. We attempt to accommodate all of our presentation requests but need at least 2 weeks-notice, or 4 weeks for a custom presentation, in order to accommodate your request.
Please note - Our presentations are designed to last 45 - 60 minutes to allow time for content, engagement, and reflection. Our custom presentations can be of a length to meet your specific needs. Below you will find descriptions of many of the presentations we offer, if there is something you are looking for that is not listed, just let us know.
If you would like us to table or provide an overview of the department, please Outreach Tabling below.
Leadership 101(45-60 minutes)
Finding your personal leadership style is an important step in understanding how to best make an impact at UF in both your academics and co-curricular activities. Through discussion and interactive activities, participants will identify aspects of effective leadership, practice and observe leadership skills, and create their own definition of leadership
- Participants will identify aspects of effective leadership
- Participants will practice and observe leadership skills such as positional leadership, followership, critical thinking, conflict management and communication.
- Participants will create their own definition of leadership.
Service & Community Engagement(45-60 minutes)
Service and community engagement can be a key component to a student’s success at the University of Florida. Participants will explore the types of service as well as the personal benefits they can gain from serving at UF and in the community. Additionally, participants will identify what it means to be part of a larger community and how to take action to meet a need using preparation, action, reflection and evaluation.
- Participants will identify different types of service
- Participants will identify personal benefits from service including career advancement, personal well-being and health
- Participants will evaluate what it means to be part of a larger community and how to take action to meet a need using preparation, action, reflection and evaluation.
Teambuilding is often utilized by groups to increase team effectiveness and maximize outcomes. Participants will engage in interactive activities and reflection on the applications of lessons learned. Staff will work with each group on their specific goals and learning outcomes for the session to ensure goals are met. Common outcomes include communication, self-awareness, conflict management and critical thinking,
Customized Presentation (custom time)
Our staff can work with you to determine the best training solution for your individual or group needs.
The Brown Center is excited to provide outreach tabling, or to give a brief overview of our services and programs, at any University of Florida class or event. To ensure availability, we recommend requests be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of your desired program date.
Please note: for longer presentations,workshops, and trainings See Presentations and Workshops above.
Thinking of planning an event related to leadership or service? The Brown Center is excited to collaborate with student organizations, classes, departments, and other UF affiliates to promote positive, socially responsible leadership! Our staff is well trained in program development and event planning related to leadership development and impactful service experiences. By collaborating with the Brown Center , you will boost the credibility of your event with the expertise, skills and activities our staff will provide.
To get started contact the appropriate staff member based on your needs:
Service events - Elaine Giles, Assistant Director Community Engagement & Service Learning
Leadership events - Taylor Stokes, Assistant Director Leadership Initiatives
If you are a journalism student who wishes to speak to a Brown Center staff member, use the request link below to send an email our office. Once submitted, your request will be assigned and you will be contacted by a staff member. We recommend that interviews be scheduled at least 2 or more days before story the is due. If you are a non-student journalists, you do not need to fill out the form. Please call the Brown Center at (352) 392-1215 to make arrangements to speak with a staff member.
Tips for Student Journalists:
- Use the request link below to send an email explaining what the story is about, the topic of the article, and/or a link(s) to any pertinent information. This information is essential so that you will be scheduled with the appropriate staff member.
- When filling out the interview request form, include the interview questions you intend to ask so that the staff member is prepared with the most pertinent information.
- Please call in advance if you need to cancel the appointment.
- Due to limited staff availability, we may not be able to schedule the interview for the same day.
- Due to limited staff availability, missed appointments can only be re-scheduled once.