Florida Alternative Breaks is a great way to develop transferrable skills, learn how to lead others, and have the experience that employers are looking for in UF graduates. Here are a few things that our student Site Leaders expressed they learned as a result of serving as a Site leader for FAB:
- I learned how to think on my feet.
- I learned how to manage my time.
- I learned how to anticipate and manage change.
- I developed confidence in leading a group of people.
- I learned how to market and promote my trip.
- I learned how to lead.
- I learned how to collaborate with a group of strangers and act as a mediator for the group.
- I learned how to analyze group dynamics.
- I learned how to manage a budget.
- I became aware of my strengths and the strengths of members in my group.
- I was able to see how my values transfered and recognized and acknowledged my priviledge.
If learning wasn't enough, here are some things that our Site Leaders expressed they enjoyed about serving as a Site Leader:
- I really liked leading and facilitating a team. I like to learn how group members like to learn best.
- I liked being able to communicate effectively with community partners and take initative in creating my trip.
- I enjoyed promoting and marketing for my trip.
- I liked being able to bring a community together.
- I liked the interpersonal relationships that I got to develop.
- I liked that we covered Adaptive Leadership in class.
- I liked that we went over the concept of group think. It was easier to lead group since I knew how to anticipate group think.
- I liked that we went over different possible scenarios and how to potentially manage conflict that might occur.
Want to learn more about the FAB experience before signing up? Read through these blog entries that students have wrote about their FAB experiences:
2017-2018 Trips: https://floridaalternative.wixsite.com/mysite
2018 Winter Break Refugee Resettlement Trip: https://ufprism.com/2019/02/25/what-to-expect-from-a-florida-alternative-break/
2019 MLK Community Development Trip: https://spark.adobe.com/page/K7eX1tUECxGH9/
2019 MLK Spring Women & Adolescent Wellbeing Trip: https://spark.adobe.com/page/MtV84FfZhwnIX/
2019 UF Master's Journalism Capstone Project: VoluntourNoMore